The day started out well with a coupon swap. Excellent! Got some great coupons, shared some. It was great.
I left quickly because my new refrigerator was being delivered. A friend of mine hooked me up with a superb deal. The fridge was missing the handle on the freezer, which is easily replaceable for really cheap. Hence the good deal. But our fridge is getting up in years (it was from when I was a teen), so we were ready to jump when a good deal came along.
So of course, I had to sweep out the garage so there would be a clean spot for the fridge to be placed. As I was sweeping, I noticed that there was quite a bit of lit around my dryer. So I began sweeping. I could quickly see that sweeping was not going to cut it. I ran inside and got my handy dandy Kenmore canister.
I vacuumed around the dryer and I began vacuuming around the vent that goes to the outside. Well, now I had a challenge! It was full of caked on lint from years of neglect. I pulled it out of the wall (saw a little lizard hiding in the cracks), and scrubbed the heck out of that vent! I even discovered that it had a little flap to cover the opening when the dryer was not in use. Who knew?!?! I was able to restore that little flap to its intended function. (You're welcome little flap).
After the vent was spic and span, I moved onto the dryer's lint trap. How was I to get down this curvy crevice? Here's my first idea:
Well, the hanger and tape didn't grab too much. So I tried to squeeze the hose of the vacuum into the trap. No luck. I tried the skinny little crack attachment... Denied again! I opened the dryer to see if I could vacuum out the excess lint through the little holes in the back of the drum. Nope. Not gonna work. So I looked at the dryer. I was going to get that lint. But how? There was only one option. Time to get the drill....
So I unplug the dryer, and wiggle it out from its happy little home for the past 5 1/2 years. Slowly, but surely, I was able to pull it out enough to squeeze behind it. (Thanks for those skinny genes Mom!) I bust out the hubby's ratchet set & drill to begin unscrewing the pack plates on the dryer. It took me a little time, but I was able to find the right size bit for the job. And of course, once I found it, I dropped it down the lint trap. Now I had to get to that lint trap! My resolve was strengthened.
After I got the main plate off the back, there were more screws on the lint trap. Luckily, they were a different size than the bit that fell down the lint trap. Once they were all removed, I tried to remove the trap. Easier said than done. I wiggled it. I shook it. I tried to pry it off. I bent down low to see if I could see some mysterious connection that I had missed. Little did I know, I was searching in the complete opposite direction that I should have been looking. I will not say how long I was stumped by the dilemma that lay before me, but let's just say I think my baby gained a pound or two as I was perplexed.
I was just about to give up, when I remembered seeing 2 screws on the top of the dryer right where the lint trap catcher goes in. Ah ha! I quickly found my Phillip's head bit for the drill and removed them. They were it! I was able to wriggle it loose just enough to get my hand under.
I was so thankful that I'm not one that gets grossed out easily because there was a lot of yucky stuff in the back of that dryer! This dryer was my mom's when I was a kid, and I highly doubt that Mom ever unscrewed the back to clean it out. That suspicion was quickly confirmed as I proceeded to pull out wads of lint.
As I picked through the lint (yep, I picked through the lint), I found a vast array of tiny treasures.
I also found a couple socks behind the washer.
If you'd like a close up of the treasures, click here.
I cleaned everything up, and I was able to put it all back together! Yay for me! And the dryer still works! I used it today. So now I have a spotless dryer. Just don't ask me about the house....
And if you care to see how many bottle of laundry detergent I have from The Grocery Game, here you go: