Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A Muggle's Review


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was PHENOMENAL!!!!!! The new screen writer, Michael Goldenberg, did a fantastic job on adapting a 800+ page book to a 2 1/2 hour movie. I was very nervous that it would be choppy like the last movie, but it flowed beautifully. They did a wonderful job covering a bunch of details by delivering them visually. The soundtrack was subtle and let the story shine through. The kids are constantly improving in their acting abilities. The adults were great as usual.

Dumbledore, played by Michael Gambon, was better than Goblet of Fire. I really liked the overall feel and look of the movie. I think I just like David Yates as the director. I'm so excited that he will be directing the Half-Blood Prince as well.

Imelda Staunton did a spot on performance of Doloris Umbridge. She was just as I imagined. They even included her obnoxious little kittens in her office! Although she didn't "hem, hem" as much as I would have liked, I was still able to hate her as much as I did in the book.

One thing that I was disappointed on was the lack of screaming. Harry is very angry in the fifth book, but in the movie Daniel Radcliffe played Harry a more quite angry than shouting angry. It definitely could have used more shouting matches. Oh well. I guess we can't have it all.

Order of the Phoenix is probably my favorite book of the series so far, and now my favorite movie of the series as well. I am thrilled that they were able to do an outstanding job on the movie. Two thumb WAY up from this gal!

5 comments:

Muggle's Mom said...

OK, Allison and I went to set it this afternoon and thought it was great as well! Allison had read the book and will probably have a thing or two to say, but I enjoyed it simply as a good movie. The story line went well and I think it would be great to see the final installment. Great review on your part...you aught to send in your review to "Rotten Tomatoes".com.

Suzi said...

I am glad you liked it. Were you so tired all day?

Z. Marie said...

Was there really a way you wouldn't have liked it?
Do you think it's too scary for Laura to see?

Allison said...

So, I saw this with your mother yesterday, and short of the completely OBNOXIOUS group of people seated to my right (I almost punched one lady). it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Some things were out of place given the way the story was edited for the big screen...Creature shouldn't have been in the movie, the conflict with the Centaurs wasn't made clear enough, etc....but all in all, it was fantastic. A heck of a lot better than Goblet of Fire. Can't wait for Deathly Hollows!

Angela said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I am excited to... I'm glad it's better than the 4th one! I haven't liked all of the movies, because I don't think they do the books justice.