Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Cleaning

I am absolutely terrible at organizing my time. I don't have a problem keeping appointments and such, but rather making time for tasks that I don't much care for, but that need to be done. One of these things, okay a LOT of these things fall into the "cleaning" category. I know how to clean. Very well in fact. My mother taught all of us how to clean pretty much every inch of a home. And while I was a kid, with the threat of grounding, I was pretty good at doing my assigned chores. (I might not have always had the best attitude about them, but not being able to go out with my friends was motivation enough for me to get them done.)

So fast forward 10-15 years to the present time. Mom isn't around to ground me from going out with my friends if the chores are not done. If I want to go out, I do whether the dishes are done or not or whether the floor is shiny and clean. I do like a clean house, it's just getting there and staying there that seems to be my problem. This is when I wished I had just a tad of OCD. Guess I'll just have to settle for my ADD and make the most of it.

So I had a mini-revelation that I think will help me in my struggles. I am a VERY visual learner. I don't do well in the abstract. I need to be able to see stuff and move it around. So I came up with the idea to have moveable chore tabs that I can move around on my calendar. Now I can actually see in writing what needs to get done. I can move it to a new day when it is completed. Or I can move it if I ran out of time that day. But at the end of the week, there will be certain things that I have to get done. I'm just hoping that my Friday doesn't end up being full of chores.

I am hoping that this will help me be better at not wasting time. We shall see. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Z. Marie said...

What a great idea! And FYI, I've never thought of your house as particularly messy ...

Anonymous said...

don't be so hard on yourself. you're better at it than you think you are. (it's a great cleaning plan though) s

Debbie said...

Hey sweetie...how about resurrecting the CHORE WHEEL??!! Sure worked for me, although I hear my kids are in need of intense psychotherapy from the mental anguish it caused!! So very sorry for the pain it caused!
Love you! Mom

meredith said...

You are even going to clean the walls? You go girl! I don't remember the last time I cleaned the walls!

Carla said...

That is a great idea!

I do this for work, but I didn't think about doing it for housework. Now I won't have an excuse for not getting it done. :)

Chinese Fortune Cookie said...

good fortune will find you this week

Angela said...

I think I'm going to have to look at your chart closer. Anything to help decrease the stress caused by trying to keep up with everything!

Oh, and I keep meaning to ask, how do you know Aarron Ballio? I think I might have served in the same mission as him. The name just sounds familiar...

And how is Sally doing?