Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The kidney report

Well, there is good news and there is bad news. Bad news first: Once your kidneys make stones, they don't stop. Good news: I can still drink an occasional Dr. Pepper. Woohoo!

I saw the urologist today. She said that I had very small stones in my left kidney (the one that passed the first stone) and the beginnings of stones in my right kidney. She said that if your kidneys form a stone, they will continue to form them. Lovely. Thanks for those genes, Dad!

But you can control them for the most part with diet. So I have to drink 2 liters of water a day along with 2 ounces of lemon juice.I also have to watch my protein intake, which isn't too hard since I'm not a big meat person. Sodium is the enemy....less than 1000mg per day. She told me that I could drink my Dr. Pepper, but I have to match it with water. So if I drink a 20 oz. DP, I have to drink 20 oz. water. I can do that.

The pain and discomfort I have been feeling since my epsiode are thanks to the 1/2 cm stone I passed. She said that passing a stone is very traumatic on the body. No kidding! She said that I will have soreness and cramping for about another week. The goal now is to shrink the current stones so that when they pass they are more like sand than stones.

I go back in 6 months for a CT scan and a check of how my stones are doing (or even better, not doing). Looks like just more rest for me until I'm healed. Thank goodness for my laptop!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea that kidney stones were a chronic thing. That's no fun. :( Jess

Me and the Boys said...

That stinks! Although, at least you don't have to give up the DP entirely. I'm glad you're feeling better.
PS I can't believe your baby will be one in a week!! Crazy how fast time goes

Warren's Blog said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Passing stones is no fun.
Good luck and drink lots of water!

Angela said...

Ahhh! So I haven't been keeping up on my blogs very well, I had no idea. I have heard how painful kidney stones can be, and I'm so sorry you had to go through that! Worse than childbirth... and it's not even really pain for a purpose. YUCK! I hope things only get better from here. Let me know if i can help with anything!