Saturday, August 20, 2011

DIY Dishwasher Detergent

I have a fancy, schmancy dishwasher.  It's stainless steel inside and out.  It's virtually silent.  And it SUCKS at washing dishes!!!!!  I have tried EVERY dishwashing detergent known to womankind and have yet to find one that does the trick.  So I have to basically wash my dishes before they get washed.  UGH!!!  (Now you know why I avoid doing the dishes!)

So in an attempt to remedy my annoying problem, I have come up with a homemade, DIY dishwasher detergent that I am HOPING will be the answer.  I've combined several recipes that I have seen on Pinterest:  the super simple recipe and the simple-yet-not-as-simple recipe.

I liked the idea of 2 ingredients, but with the hard water we have in my area and the known crappy washing history, I am pretty sure just two won't cut it.  So here's the recipe that I came up with:


I combined:

1 cup Borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda
1 cup Lemi-shine

and then use vinegar (oh, how I LOVE vinegar!) for the rinse aid.

It's made and I'm ready to test it out.  I will update this post tomorrow once I see how my dishes turn out.  :)


UPDATE:  I tried out the dishwasher detergent and it worked GREAT!!!!  If you are weary about putting vinegar in the rinse agent dispenser, you can just freeze the vinegar in ice cube trays and then throw in a couple of vinegar ice cubes before you start the dishwasher.  :)

1 comment:

KarenR said...

I buy detergent but found out quickly that the cheap stuff had to be supplemented with vinegar and the eater had to be hot or my stainless steel insides and glasses were dull and cloudy. Can't wait to see how your recipe works out!!!