Monday, August 29, 2011

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

My WONDERFUL four-year-old son decided to mess with my big upright deep freeze last week causing everything to thaw, so I was forced into some impromptu freezer cooking.  One of the recipes I wanted to try was one for honey lime chicken enchiladas.  I'm a lover of tex-mex, so I was definitely intrigued by this recipe.  I used white corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas (because any true Texas gal knows you use corn tortillas for enchiladas).  I rolled them all up and stuck them in an 8" aluminum round pan and popped them in the freezer.


We thawed them out and had them for dinner a couple nights ago....and the reviews were mixed.  The flavor was DELICIOUS!!!!  The texture...not so appetizing.   It turned out pretty mushy.  So I need to try this recipe again without the freezing and with the flour tortillas (against all of my Texas gal instincts) and re-review these.  









Ingredients:
Marinade -
6 tablespoons honey
5 tablespoons lime juice (1 large lime)
1 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
8-10 flour tortillas (I used whole wheat tortillas)
1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
16 ounces green enchilada sauce
1 cup heavy cream

Directions:
1. Whisk the first four ingredients and toss with shredded chicken in a Zip-loc bag.
2. Let it marinate for at least a 1/2 hour, but preferably a half day or so.
3. Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan.
4. Fill the tortillas with chicken, saving marinade, and shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas.
5. Put tortillas in 9x13 pan as you go.
6. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade (if there is any).
7. Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas.
8. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.

This recipe was found at dinner on a dime.
This is also a great recipe to make as a freezer meal- put into 2 8x8" pans. Bake 1 pan for dinner now, put the other pan into the freezer. Pull it out and bake it when you need it!


Along with the enchiladas, we had this easy mexican rice recipe.  I was out of salsa (GASP!!!) so I used half a can of Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chilis).  It was very yummy and a very easy recipe.  The flavor was not overwhelming, which I have found a lot of Mexican rice recipes to be.  The Rotel made it a little spicier than a mild salsa would, but it was yummy nonetheless.  :)

No comments: