Saturday, August 20, 2011

SUPER easy DIY Laundry Detergent


I saw this on pinterest and it made me curious.  I had seen several friends posting other DIY laundry detergent/soap recipes over the past few weeks, but they seemed messy and WAY more hassel than they were worth.  (I am an award-winning under achiever, I'll have you know).  So when I saw this recipe with only 3 ingredients and DRY ingredients, mind you, I was intrigued.

I bought my 3 ingredients:


I found all items at my local Kroger in the laundry aisle.  The washing soda was $2.99, the borax was $3.99 and the fels-naptha was $1.19 a bar.  All you have to do is.....
1.  Finely grate the entire bar of Fel-Naptha soap
2.  Add 1 cup of Borax
3.  Add 1 cup of Super Washing Soda
4.  Stick all in the food processor to mix well.  (I tried just stirring in a bowl, but it didn't want to mix well).



I stored the mix in an airtight container.  I used an old scooper from my protein shake mix (approx. 3 TBSP) as the scoop for the detergent.  I tested it out with my stinky towels.  I have a HUGE he washing machine, so I added 2 scoops of the mix.  They came out completely scent-free and SUPER soft! 

I was SO impressed with this!  With the boxes, I will be able to make a total of 5 batches.  Now I just need to see if Sam's or Costco carries any of this in bulk!  ;)

1 comment:

Heather VDB said...

I know you can get bulk stuff on Amazon.com. I didn't think, cost wise, it was much different than our regular soap. BUT I do agree that things are musty smelling after a fews post wash/dry.