Monday, October 10, 2011

Fiesta Chicken Casserole

I bought a bunch of chicken thighs on sale a couple days ago.  I never buy chicken thighs, so I had no idea what to do with them.  And what do you do when you have an ingredient and you don't know what to do with it?  You turn to pinterest.com of course!

I figured that they would work well in this recipe:




Bag of frozen chicken in the crock pot. Put the cream cheese, corn, rotel and black beans on top and let it go for 6-8 hours on low. You can shred when done or leave the chicken whole.






Since I had almost 6 pounds of chicken, I added an extra can of tomatoes.  The chicken came out very moist and tender, but the sauce was very thin and brothy, not creamy like it should have been for a meal.  I ended up taking the chicken off the bones and saving some of the broth.  

Now I had a bunch of cooked chicken and needed another recipe.  Oh, pinterest!

My awesome sister made the Fiesta Chicken Casserole after I pinned it, so I figured that would be a good one to try.  



Fiesta Chicken Casserole from http://www.plainchicken.com/

3 cup cooked chopped chicken
1 cup instant rice (uncooked)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I used 98% fat free)
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and chiles, undrained
1 Tbsp Southwestern or Taco seasoning
2 Tbsp milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips or Doritos

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine chicken, rice, soup, Rotel, seasoning, milk and 1 1/2 cups of cheese.  Pour into a lightly greased 9x9 pan.  Cover and bake for 30 minutes.  Top casserole with crushed chips and remaining cheese, bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.

Nicole's Notes:  

  • I used regular long grain rice.  It came out okay, except the rice that was on the top was a bit crunchy. 
  • I didn't have cream of chicken soup, so I used this substitute. 
  • I didn't add in the taco seasoning.
  • I added in some of the black beans and corn from cooking the chicken the night before.
  • I didn't put cheese or chips on top (although it probably would have made it better....and with more calories). 
  • I cooked it for an hour at 325 degrees.
The reviews....It was good, but not great.  It taste similar to King Ranch casserole, but with rice instead of tortillas.  I think this would make a great freezer meal too.   

No comments: