Sunday, October 2, 2011

Laundry Basket Dressers

 The laundry basket dresser (or whatever you want to call it) was one of the first items that converted me to pinterest.  I saw it and knew I needed multiple units!  All of my laundry troubles seemed to disappear in the thought of changing over to laundry basket dressers.

My grand plan involved getting rid of all the kids' traditional dressers because most of the time, the clean laundry was stacked on top instead of being put away.  I have 4 kids, ages 11, 9, 4 and 2, so I had to figure out what would work for each of them due to the age differences.  For the older girls, they got a 3-basket unit....2 baskets for clean clothes and 1 for dirty.  We made some little cards so they would know which was which.  In one of the clean baskets, they have a smaller basket for socks and underwear.  

For the girls, their units have seemed to really help with the laundry problems.  I can simply take the dirty basket of one child and wash it or have them wash it, fold it and give it back.  It has been great!  It also gave us so much more room in their rooms!  BONUS!!!

For my younger 2 kids, ages 4 and 2, they got 2-basket units.  Both for clean laundry and then a hamper in their room for dirty clothes.  Keeping theirs orderly has been somewhat more of a challenge.  They like to dump the clothes out and then I don't know what is clean and what isn't.  We are still trying to keep the clothes in them, but if it turns out to be a losing battle, they would be great for toy storage as well.  

For hubby and me, we have a 4-basket unit.  It's tall, but it's great.  I use ours to separate dirty laundry.  It works like a charm (when the baskets are actually there and not sitting on my room floor).  ;)  They have all saved so much space too!

As far as cost goes, we figured that it costs about $25 per basket to make.  That included the laundry basket, the wood and the screws.  So a 3-basket unit would cost $75 to make for example.  They were fairly simple to make.  All straight cuts.  What you can't see are 1x1's behind the baskets to stabilize the unit.  The 2-basket units didn't need extra stabilizers, but the 3 & 4-basket units did.

I couldn't be happier with the results!  I just need to figure out what color to paint them all now!

 Here you can see the stabilizer bars in the of the 4-basket unit.

All of the units together plus the 4 cutest kids on earth!

No comments: