Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sugar Cookie Bars

Last night I dreamt about sugar cookies.  I'm not a huge sugar cookie fan, so I found this slightly odd.  But of course, it started a craving that had to be satisfied!  I headed on over to my handy-dandy Desserts, Drinks & Other Treats pinterest board (which you should totally follow btw....) to find a recipe to fix this hankerin'!  We made our frosting Halloween green (since green was the only food coloring that the kids had not gotten into and wasted).







I chose to make the sugar cookie bars from everythingtoentertain.com.  Here is her recipe:


Sugar Cookie Bars
adapted from BreeAnn Frankhauser
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon or orange zest

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs mixing well. Add vanilla. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda and stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (13X18 jellyroll pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean (they don't look done so do the toothpick test) Cool completely and frost.


Frosting

1/2 cup butter
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla OR almond extract
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
3-4 drops food coloring

Combine butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk a little at a time and mix until smooth and spreading consistency. (You may not need all the milk). Spread over cooled cookie bars.





This makes a HUGE amount of cookie bars....the 13x18" pan is bursting at the seams.  So this is a great treat to make when you are having a get-together or a party.  I will be taking some to a friend's house later today for sure.


Nicole's Notes: (aka my thoughts and what I would do different)
  • The frosting/icing is PHENOMENAL!!!!!  I think the little bit of salt is the key.  I might just scrape it off the bar and eat it by itself.
  • The cookie bar itself is bland.  I think it needs more sugar, as it tastes pretty flour-y (notice the proportions of sugar to flour).  
  • I used Blue Bonnet margarine instead of butter (since the whole thing needed 3 sticks), and it was fine.  I don't think butter would make much of a difference.
  • I might have over-cooked the bar, but it's a little dry.  But then again, I do like under cooked cookies.  
  • My 9 year old daughter (aka miss picky pants) did not like the lemon zest in the cookie bar.  I personally could barely taste it, but I guess she picked up on it.  

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Suzi has a recipe for the most delicious sugar cookies...get it from her! I think your frosting sounds great...I've never put salt in that type of frosting. I'll have to try it.