Monday, November 21, 2011

Cracker Barrel Pancakes

I love Cracker Barrel pancakes.  They are so delicious!  I frequently crave them (which is terribly naughty when you are watching your calories).  Good thing I'm cheap and won't get them as often as I would like to. ;)

I found a copycat recipe on food.com that is pretty darn close to the real deal.  I'm still not sure how they make them slightly crispy (I've tried greasing the skillet with no luck).  I found this batter a bit thick, so I added some additional milk which did the trick.



Cracker Barrel Pancakes
from Food.com

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour <---- I didn't sift, but just mixed all the dry ingredients with a whisk before adding wet ingredients
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt (heaping)
1 TBSP sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk <---- If you don't have buttermilk, you can add 2 tsp of vinegar to 2 c milk and let it sit for a little bit.  


I also added about 1/2 c regular milk to thin down the batter a bit. 


1.   Mix ingredients together.  Be careful to not overmix....only mix until all are wet.  Lumps are okay.
2.  Heat griddle or non-stick pan to medium to medium-high heat.  Grease with a little oil or butter for crispy edge.  <---- This didn't work for me.  Maybe you'll have better luck. ;)
3.  Drop batter in hot pan (1/4c at a time) to make pancakes.  Flip once top is bubbly and edge looks crispy.
4.  Serve with butter and real maple syrup.  <---- This is a MUST for that authentic taste.




I made a double batch and froze a ton.  Yummy quick breakfasts!

(To freeze ANYTHING so it doesn't stick together in a bag, spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray and put pancakes on it, stick it in the freezer for 30-60 minutes.  Once they have frozen a bit, you can put them in a ziploc bag and you won't have one big lump of pancakes).



5 comments:

Melissa said...

Pancakes are my favorite food....seriously. Although of all places I love the ihop pancakes the best. I know, I'm ashamed to even mention that!

Nicole said...

i have a great copycat recipe for ihop pancakes.... ;)

Melissa said...

Give it up! The recipe I mean...

tia walker said...

these pancakes turned out terribly for me. they were crunchy yet undone and I can't... I can't deal with it. it's hard to make restaurant style pancakes without an actual restaurant quality griddle or iron, no matter what recipe you use. #goingtocryinacornernow #hopesanddreamscrushed #icant #icannot

tia walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.