Sunday, November 13, 2011

Homemade Better than York Peppermint Patties

 I'm not kidding...these are so much better than any peppermint patty you can buy.  I'm salivating just thinking about them.  Everyone in my family LOVED them and we basically fought over them. 





They aren't hard to make, but do take some time.  The ingredients are pretty basic and can be found at any grocery store.

You'll need some wax paper, tooth picks and a few cookie sheets.

This is, of course, another pinterest find.  I did change a few things from her recipe which I have noted.  :)


Peppermint Patties
Adapted from HowSweetEats.com
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil 
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract  <--- I completely forgot to add this, but I'm glad I did.  I like the pure peppermint taste.
drop of peppermint extract <---- A drop is NOT enough.  I added about 1 tsp.  Just keep tasting until it is what you want.
 
 1-2 cups chocolate chips  <---- I used dark chocolate chips.  It was a little too thick and hard to work with for dipping.  See a dipping chocolate recipe below.  :)
 
In an electric mixer, beat all ingredients except chocolate chips until smooth. Scoop into a bowl and place in the refrigerator or freezer to set. 

Once firm, roll into one inch balls. Place on cookie sheet lined with wax paper.  Push down to flatten. Set in freeze for another 60 minutes.  <---- I prefer a smaller patty size, about the size of a quarter.  I also tried making balls, which was just too much because it is so sweet, you can only eat a little bit at a time.

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. Remove patties from freezer and dip in chocolate, setting on wax paper. Freeze again until ready to eat.  <---- This is where I would change this the most.  Here's the chocolate dipping recipe:

Chocolate Dipping Recipe

1 1/2 c dark chocolate chips
2 TBS Crisco shortening (do NOT use margarine or butter)

Put in a bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals stirring between each until it is smooth and melted through.
Using a toothpick, stab one of the patties and dip it into the chocolate.  Place back on the wax paper.  Once finished, put the cookie sheet back in the freezer to set chocolate.  Once set, you can put them in a ziploc bag to store them in the freezer.  Any remaining chocolate you have, you can pour out on a cookie sheet of wax paper, freeze and then put in a ziploc to store for your next dipping needs. 


I made a double batch of this recipe.  They lasted about a day and a half in my household of 6.  The given recipe makes a very small batch.  

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Ooh these were so yummy! Thanks for sharing with our family! We all loved em!

Emma Lee said...

Hey Nicole! Just saw that you were blogging again! :) Good to see you here. Looks like you've been up to lots of fun stuff. :)

Debbie said...

sounds yummy!