Monday, November 21, 2011

Weaning off Lexapro

It's been a week.  More like a week and a half.  First off, I finished my weaning schedule to get off of my anti-depressant med, Lexapro.  Here's the schedule I used (I was on 10mg of Lexapro) in case you are looking to wean off an SSRI.  Make sure you have a good pill cutter.  ;)

Weeks 1 & 2 - 3/4 of a pill
Weeks 3 & 4 - 1/2 of a pill
Weeks 5 & 6 - 1/4 of a pill

I've been feeling pretty good, but every 2-3 days, I will feel withdrawal symptoms of a tingly tongue and/or lips and equilibrium problems.  I'm trying to wait them out, but if I need relief, I have taken 1/8 of a pill.  It relieves the symptoms fairly quickly.  I am not having any of the heart or chest pain issues I had when I weaned off before.  I know that with coming off any SSRI, there are going to be withdrawal symptoms.  These are minimal compared to what I have gone through before and what I have seen others deal with.

That being said, the equilibrium issue is interfering with daily life.  I am okay as long as I am sitting down, but as soon as I stand up, there better be a wall or something to hold on nearby.  It also makes it hard to think.  It's like my brain has a bad case of the brain farts.  Which is AWESOME when I have tons of tests and assignments.  :/

I'm hoping that with the husband being off for a week and a half, I can really wait it out without having to take that little bit of a pill to curb it so I can drive and actually be a mom.

I am very grateful that this drug exists.  It helped me through a bad post-partum depression.  But it is time for me to feel again.  It is time for me to be free of it.  So if you see me, and I cry for no particular reason, I'm not pregnant or anything....just finally feeling something.  (Hopefully).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From your sister, because honestly, blogger has made it too hard to post with an identity unless you have your passwords saved everywhere on your computer. It times out of does something hinky half of the time, and I lose my post (btw, this is why I didn't comment on your other two posts....I did really, but when it redirected me to my google account, it went to the wrong page, and alas, my comments were lost. ANYWAY...

The foggy head and crazy mood swings were my least favorite...I weaned off Paxil and Wellbutrin at the same time though...in 10 days. I am FULL of amazing ideas. Good luck though. It took a good two weeks for me to stop feeling all of the icky side effects. Hopefully it will be less for you since you weaned slowly. Love you!

Melissa said...

You're amazing! You can do it!

Nicole said...

thanks guys. :)

Debbie said...

Yes, you can do this! Take it easy and let your body readjust. It wants to heal...give it good fuel and rest. When the dizziness goes away, get back on your bike. Those endorphines will kick in and help you feel good again.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

girl, I am right there with ya. I did it cold turkey though after a hospital stay. I figured I'd just not go back on them (I couldn't take it in hospital due to drug interactions). i get off balance, foggy, tingly, and sometimes it feels like my head is buzzing or these little electric shock things....very weird. but like you, i want off them and think it's time. like you, i've been sick of being numb. i'm just not designed to live that way. like you, i'm crying at odd times and while a little embarrassing, i am so stoked to be feeling stuff (and girl, i mean "stuff", wink/wink, lol!) again! wishing you all the best with this and appreciate your sharing your experience. you always inspire me. love you!

rushia

Nicole said...

girl! you are not supposed to go off cold turkey!!!! i don't care to feel "stuff", but that a whole other issue i have. :P

i hope you are feeling better. :)

Muneer Hussian said...

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution