Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Grinch in Me

 It is true.  I'm a Christmas Grinch.  I'm not sure why.  I joke and blame my festive mother (who ADORES all things Christmas) for my grinchiness, but honestly, it just sounds like a good excuse.  I dread the holidays and all the decor.  I think that is what I dislike the most.  I don't like seeing Christmas throwing up everywhere.  I don't like the additional clutter, especially in my house which already has more than its fair share of the regular clutter.

In the past, I have even gone as far as to not put up a tree.  This was when the kids were younger and wouldn't really notice.  If they did, they can blame me in therapy later.  I used a large pencil cactus one year as a Texas Christmas tree.  I passed it off as creative and festive, but it was pure laziness and distain for decorating.

My poor kids know that I'm a scrooge.  They beg to put stuff up.  We usually get the tree up a week before Christmas.  It's usually sad-looking, but they love it.  They beg to put lights outside in the bushes.  I think I did that once YEARS ago.  They love to hear the Christmas carols on the radio.  I boycott those stations from Thanksgiving to New Years.

This year, I'm trying to be less grinchy.  I have no place to put up a regular size tree, so I bought a small 4 foot one.  It's even prelit.  Yep.  I'm fancy like that.  I even bought lights to put outside in the bushes AND actually put them in the bushes!  Yay me!  The Christmas music radio stations have been turned on a couple times in the car.  I even tried not to make grimaces.  So maybe Grinch Nicole will be a memory, and a more Christmas tolerant Nicole will replace her.


But one thing you will NEVER, and I mean


NEVER


see me do is this ---------->

I can't even begin to tell you how much I detest the reindeer car.  Sticking a red ball on the front of a motor vehicle and brown branches on either side does NOT make your car look like a reindeer.  It makes you look like an idiot driving down the road.  It makes me want to run through the parking lot ripping stuff of the cars.  (Don't worry....I won't.  I don't want to make little kids cry).

So if you have your car decorated as a reindeer, we can still be friends.....after New Years.  Just don't let me see you or I may vomit a little bit in my mouth. :P


Merry Christmas!!!!!!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lOVE this post!!! I have a little grinch in me too...and it is TOTALLY from Dad, not Mom. I don't know how I end up married to a man in love with all things festive and glittery...last night, I was forced to listen to Feliz Navidad...the whole song...do you know that song NEVER ends.

I do admit that I love all the little Christmas knickknacks....but only Nativity scences and other Christ themed decorations.

I could so do without the tree, but our HUGE 8' artifical one that refuses to break or look less than brand new no matter how much I abuse it, goes up every year. Remember spreading out all of the tiny little branches that get squished together on all of the fake trees we had growing up???

Anyway, hope you let the the spirit of the season surround you and that it will drown out all the exranoius gaudiness.

Love you tons!

Al

Anonymous said...

And that was supposed to say extraneous....It is finals week. My brain is mush, MUSH, I tell you.

Debbie said...

Thank you Allison...the Grinchiness is totally from your Dad, not me! I love Christmas!! I do struggle with the clutter of the decorations though...especially this year for some reason. George had to rearrange things to I wouldn't box it back up!!!
Glad to hear that you don't go for the reindeer car look...never liked those either! We don't see too many of them here in UT...probably because of the snow.
And in all fairness to you, you guys are bursting at the seams in your home and when there isn't a lot of room for the regular everyday things, it makes it a challenge for the Christmas decorations! You only have to be 'bugged' for another couple of weeks...you can handle it!!
I remember when you did the Pencil Cactus as your tree! Loved it!!
Love you!!

Nicole said...

they are everywhere here mom. and i get ticked off every time i see one! ;)

Lara said...

I SO agree on the car thing! I'm glad I am not the only one!