Saturday, December 3, 2011

Music Fast

I love music.  I love to sing.  (Although poorly).  I love to listen.  I love to experience it.  It moves me.  The melody, the rhythm, the notes, the words.  I like everything from classical to soft rock to rap to pop and even some county (only stuff from the 90s when I was in my country phase though).  ;)

Lyrics, to me, can say exactly how I am feeling.  They can take me to an emotional place instantly.  I feel my mood change.  I feel my body change.  It's insane.  There are so many gifted writers and singers out there.  I wish I was one of them.  I have found lately though that my emotions get a little too out of control with certain songs.  Well, almost any song that has meaningful lyrics.  You'd think I was a hormonal pregnant woman!  (And I am most definitely NOT!)

In classic Nicole fashion, I am going to go to an extreme.  (My therapist would frown up that.  Good thing I'm not in therapy right now). ;)  I am going on a music fast.  I started about a week ago, and I am loving it!  I am only listening to instrumental and classical music with a few hymns mixed in.  I love Pandora for that reason.  I have compiled an AWESOME instrumental station.  You can check it out here:

Nicole's Instrumental Station

It is helping my life quiet down.  I still feel emotion when I listen (don't worry Melissa), but it is less dramatic and/or extreme as with music with lyrics.  The emotions don't linger either, or maybe I just don't dwell on them.

Time will tell how this experiment goes.  I don't have specific goals or a timeline, so I will just wing it.  That's how I roll anyways.  ;)

4 comments:

Allison Black said...

Just FYI, expect to feel like an emotional pregnant woman for a while after going off the Lexapro. I was a head case for about a month after completely weaing off paxil. I am still more teary than I ever was before being on it.
Good luck with the music fast! I love classical and instrumental music.

Anonymous said...

AND... if you get really get energetic you could always dust off ye ole violin. :) www.maywoodmusic.com has a really great "if you could hie to kolob" violin solo arrangement you can download the sheet music. (amoung others) just so ya know. ;) i'm sure a few people would looooove to hear you play. i know i would. well, you know when i'm in town and all. svs

Emma Lee said...

I think that sounds like a great idea. Music is pretty powerful for me too. I'm impressed with how intune you are and your ability to take action. :) Awesome.

Debbie said...

I'm doing the opposite of what you are doing! After not listening to music for a very LONG time, I'm lovin' it! I mostly listen to Christmas music now...hymns, Santa songs, instrumental and when I work out, loud songs with lots of beats!

I think it's valuable to quiet things down. You are doing lots of changing and you need to be able to recognize what you need and it's hard to do that when you are bombarded with noise all the time.

Keep it up...I think you will see significant results!
Love you!
Mom