Sunday, December 11, 2011

A New Take on Playdoh

 Today we made playdoh.  I've always done the plain old flour, salt and cream of tartar recipe.  It's a good recipe.  I ran out of cream of tartar and since it's Sunday, and I still had 2 kids that I owed a batch of playdoh in their chosen color too.  Yikes!  What's a mom to do!

Improvisation, baby!

So here's the recipe I came up with.  It made the fluffiest, softest playdoh!  I think it might become my new staple recipe.  And an added bonus....NO CREAM OF TARTAR!!!  (Can  you hear the savings?)  :P


No Cream of Tartar Playdoh Recipe


1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 c boiling water
1/2 c salt
3 TBSP baking powder
1 TBSP vegetable oil
food coloring


1.  Put all the dry ingredients in a mixer (I have a Bosch).  (You can also add in some fine-grain glitter at this point if you like).
2.  Add the oil.
3.  Boil water in the microwave (takes about 1.5-2 minutes on high).
4.  Add desired amount of food coloring to water.
5.  Pour water in mixing bowl.  It will foam up a bit.
6.  Using your cookie paddles (see pic below),  mix on low until dough forms a single ball and isn't sticking to paddles or sides of bowl.
7.  You can knead it if you like, or just start playing.

If the dough seems too sticky, add a tablespoon of flour at a time until it gets to the right consistency.

Happy molding!

Cookie paddles for the Bosch mixer.  If you have a Kitchen Aid, I'm sure they have a similar attachment.
playdough
play-doh
play-dough
play dough

No comments: