When I was a teen, a friend introduced me to "Walkabout Soup" at Outback. I was instantly addicted. Outback no longer serves this soup, but no worries....this copycat recipe tastes JUST like it! This is a favorite of mine. It's easy to make and is pure deliciousness! It makes a BIG batch, and it does freeze and thaw out fine. (It usually is a little thinner when thawed and reserved).
Outback's Walkabout Soup (Creamy Onion & Cheese Soup)8 beef boullion cubes
8 c water
3 med white onions
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
3/4 c all-purpose flour (or you can use cornstarch)
1 c heavy cream
1 1/4 c shredded cheddar
1/4 c monterrey jack cheese
1. Heat water to boiling. Add boullion cubes and dissolve.
2. Cut onions into thin slices, quarter the slices. Add to broth. Add salt and pepper.
3. Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
4. While stirring, sift flour, stirring carefully to remove lumps. (Or you can use a cornstarch and cold water mixture to thicken broth).
5. After 30 minutes, add cream and 1 c cheddar. Simmer 5-10 minutes.
6. Serve with remaining cheese on top.
**You can skimp on the cooking times a little and it'll taste just fine. ;)