Sunday, December 18, 2011

Using My Brain

A little over a year ago, I went back to college.  It was a scary thing, but it was something that I needed to do for me.  I had never really caught that "love of learning" bug earlier in life, but man....it got me bad this time around!  It's amazing what different circumstances can do for your attitude.  When I went to college right out of high school, my main focus was fun-centered.  I also had ADD unknowingly.

This go-around, I'm not going to school for the wrong reasons.  I'm going for ME!  I know that I have ADD and the challenges in presents.  It feels so good to be able to learn and to know that my brain is capable of more than just knowing how to calm a fussy baby down.  Very validating indeed.

I've been taking a combination of on-campus and online classes.  Both have their pluses and minuses.  I love being able to hear the professor lecture and ask questions and interact with other students in my on-campus classes.  It also gives me a little break from my mommy-life.  My online classes give me flexibility.

I'm applying for the Dental Hygiene program next month.  I'm a little nervous.  They only take 15 students per year.  My grades are fabulous, but so are a lot of other students.  I figure if it is in Heavenly Father's plan for me, it will happen.  I might look into their nursing program as well.  Who knows.  ;)

I had a small experience the other evening which was a nice little "I'm watching out for you" moment from my Heavenly Father.  You'll need a little background info to hopefully appreciate this.  ;)

After I get my Associate's degree, I'm only a few classes off from getting my Bachelor's, so I've been trying to finish up those core classes as well.  For next semester I had registered to take a government class as part of those core classes.  I had taken political science when I was at Texas A&M, but they didn't transfer as credit for government when I had checked on what I needed six weeks ago before I registered for the spring semester.  In the "planning section" of the college's website, it showed I still needed both of my government classes, so I went ahead and registered to take one online.

I went online to check on what books I would need for next semester on the college's website.  Somehow I ended up on a scenario page for various degrees that the college offered.  I don't even know what degree plan I was on, but it showed I had met my government requirement.  Huh???  So I went back to my transcript page and lo, and behold, there it was!  They had given me credit for both of my political science classes!  I was able to get out of the class I had registered for and get into another online class that I needed for those core classes.  It saved me a semester (since I only take 2 classes a semester at this time), and about $500.

I also kept getting a weird pop up on the college's page telling me to check my financial aid.  I hadn't qualified for financial aid this go around, but thought I'd check it out anyways.  And lo, and behold, AGAIN, there was a surprise!  I had qualified for a couple hundred dollars to help out the cost.  Sweet!

The same evening, I also found out that I will have a great professor for my Microbiology class.  And a friend lent me her books for that class, which also saves me a couple hundred dollars.

It was a great evening.  They were all little things, nothing of huge consequence, but they made me feel loved and remembered by my Heavenly Father.  I know that furthering my education is a great blessing and will be a great blessing for me and my family for years to come.  

6 comments:

Stephens Family said...

Yea! Nicole!! Isn't so wonderful when the Lord blesses you and you see those blessings right away. Way to go girl!!! Keep up the hard work!!

Anonymous said...

Awesomesauce!! I love when stuff like that happens. I am glad you got a good Micro teacher...mine barely spoke English...and as far as nursing, it is a pretty good gig. I like it enough....at least for now. So far I am not loving business, but I have only taken a couple of classes. To think, I would graduate in the fall if I had just gotten my BSN instead of switching to Health Care Admin.

ANYWAY, I will be praying for you. I remember applying for nursing school..I had a know in my stomach for the four or five weeks to find out if I was accepted. You are smart and awesome, so you will do great! Love you,

Al

Debbie said...

I love those little nudges to know that He knows what's going on in your life and lets you know that He knows!!
I'll pray for you too...you are right...if it's right timing, it will happen. Did I tell you that I put in my application for my BGS at BYU? It's a Bachelor of General Studies for those who didn't get their degree the 1st time around. I can do it all online, or attend classes at night. I'll see if I'm accepted and do like you...a combo of online and live classes.
I love learning...there's so much out there!!
Love you! You rock!!

Anonymous said...

*know* not know

Kyla said...

Nice, good for you! This school thing is awesome - so much bigger than 'just' the grades. I think, for me, going back as an older student, it's probably way more about the personal journey: of self-confidence, of faith, of bravery, even, than it is about the paper I will hopefully get at the end.

raisruckus said...

Ditto to everyone else. Soo cool! We are loved aren't we! :)