Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

This evening, as I promised my kids I'd make them chocolate chip cookies, I went to look for the recipe and almost didn't find it.  SCARY!!!!  So I'm posting on my blog so I know I can always find it.  I'm a mess....if I can't find it digitally, it's a goner for sure.








Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened **If you only have salted butter, just omit the salt below**
1 c granulated sugar
3 c brown sugar
2 large eggs + 2 large egg whites
5 tsp vanilla extract
5 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

1.  Cream together softened butter (DO NOT MELT!!!), sugars, eggs, egg whites & vanilla.
2.  In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients (minus the chocolate chips) with a whisk.
3.  Mix the wet and dry ingredients together.  Use a mixer if you have it.  This is a VERY thick and dry mix.  It will give your arm a fabulous workout if you are mixing my hand.
4.  Once wet & dry ingredients are combined well, mix in the chocolate chips.  You can use any type you prefer.  You can also mix in nuts if you like them.  Almonds are super yummy in this recipe.
5.  Make 1/2"-1" diameter balls of dough and place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Gently flatten the cookie dough balls with the base of a cup or your hand.  Don't over squish....just enough to spread them out a little.
6.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Just until you see a little bit of golden on the cookies.
7.  Remove from oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes.  Then remove to a cookie rack to cool.


***If you are at high altitude, you will need to make adjustments.  I tried making these at my mother's house in Utah, and it was an epic fail.  Here are some suggestions I found online:


Add an extra 1.5--2 rounded tablespoons of flour per cup; if above 10,000 feet add 2--2.5 tablespoons of flour per cup.


Since I'm almost at sea level, I can't test this.  If you are at high altitude and test it out, I'd love to hear what you found.***





These cookies freeze amazingly well.  I think they actually taste better after they've been cooked, frozen and then thawed.  They are a yummy chewy cookie with a slightly crisp outside.  If you have trouble when you bake cookies check out this site.  AWESOME tips and tricks to figure out where you are going wrong.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Yum! I remember you making those cookies and you are right...not so good!! Christopher has come up with a pretty good chocolate chip recipe for up here...I would rather consume the cookie dough!!