Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Circus!!!!

A small circus, Picadilly Circus, came to town last night.  A couple weeks ago, they offered a sweet deal on Groupon for $19 to get the whole family in to see the show.  How could I resist that????  So I purchased my groupon and we got all excited about the circus coming.  I had just finished reading Water for Elephants which is set in a traveling circus in the 1920's, so I was a little excited about experiencing that small circus feel.  I know.  I'm a dork.  It's a big reason you love me.  ;-)

The day finally came last night.  The kids were PUMPED!!!  I was excited to see their excitement.  I wonder when that changes?  When we find the joy in seeing theirs?  It doesn't matter when, but I think it's better than almost anything.  Our kids are ages 3, 5, 9 and 11, so I wasn't sure if the older two would like it all that much, it being a much smaller scale circus than Ringling Bros.  Thankfully, they did.

 The first thing we did was ride the elephant.  She (or he...I didn't dare climb under to check), was HUGE!!!!!  And smelly!  But we got to ride on an elephant!  Of course, they gouge you with all the extra costs, but we figured that it was worth it.  Matt even haggled to get me to ride for free with the baby.  ;-)

After the elephant ride, we headed over to a small petting zoo to feed the goats and llamas.  There were some nice ones and some not-so-nice ones.  K got spit on by a particularly feisty llama.  He then proceded to sneeze on Princess A's hair.  Needless to say, llama saliva, snot, whatever smells like vomit.  I'm just glad he didn't get me.  The girls were good sports though and it didn't bother them very much.

G & A rode the ponies.  Princess A was in pony heaven!  She just kept giggling in delight the whole time.  During the show, they had a pony performance with white ponies with their manes and tails dyed bright colors.  It was her favorite.  I think she thought they were live "My Little Ponies".

G-man LOVED the motorcycle sphere.  You know, the big metal ball where the motorcycles ride around inside?  He was just in awe of it.  During the "intermission" of the circus (which was pretty lame...pretty much stopped the show for 30-45 minutes so parents could pay to have their picture taken with various circus animals and stars), he got to have his picture taken (yes, this mama was a sucker and paid for my boy to have his picture taken), inside the metal sphere on the motorcycle.  At least they gave him a polaroid (I didn't even know they still had those!) to take home.  He thought it was the coolest thing EV-VA! (just how he says it)

Overall, it was a huge hit with the family.  I loved the small venue.  We didn't have to walk all over a huge area to see everything.  There wasn't a bad seat in the house.  I don't think it's worth the $30 per adult they charge on their website, even with free kid admission.  I think if you got in two adults and free kids for $30-$40, that would be worth it.

The actual show is mediocre at best.  They have a few clown skits....one with a car that "backfires" and makes a VERY loud gun-shot sounding noise....freaked my kids out.  So they were nervous of more super-loud, sudden sounds for the rest of the skit.

They had a cool performance with colorful ponies.  That was A's favorite.  They had a sheep-dog performance which all the kids loved.  They were really cute and had some fun tricks.  They had a balancing act, a cool rollerskating act and a contortionist.  I was hoping for some trapeze or acrobats, but with the smaller venue, I don't think it was feasible.  The finale was the elephants.  They had three of them and they did some neat tricks.

I think we liked the non-performance stuff most of all.  But that all cost extra of course.  But it's all for the memories, right?






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO MUCH FUN!!!! I hate all of the addons, but it looks like it was all worth it. What a great memory.

-Allison

Debbie said...

Oh that sounds like such a great night! Yay for y'all going! You are right...great memories made that will stay with your kids forever!

As a mom and Nana, I don't ever get over seeing the joy and excitement in my kids or grandkids over stuff...it really is the best feeling!

Love you sweetie!